Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Be a VITA Volunteer and Make a Difference!
What is VITA?
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) is a vital part of helping low- income working families in San Antonio and Bexar County. VITA volunteers provide free income tax assistance to taxpayers, and help them claim important tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit.
The VITA program continues to expand each year. During the 2017 tax filing season, VITA volunteers worked at 19 VITA sites located throughout the city and completed 32,302 tax returns. More than $47.8 million in refunds was returned to the San Antonio Community through local VITA locations and volunteers.
Without the help of all those who volunteer for VITA, many of whom return each tax-filing season, VITA could not continue to expand, touching an increasing number of San Antonio’s lower to moderate income families and individuals.
- You perform a rewarding Community service
- You promote tax understanding and awareness
- You meet new people; work as a team
- You get to work with the nation’s largest volunteer program in San Antonio
- You get free training and IRS certification
- You gain a marketable skill, expand your resume
- You help San Antonio families access $17.8 million in unclaimed EITC last year
VITA Volunteer Opportunities Available
- Tax Preparer