Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program is ready to help.

The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) in San Antonio is a coalition between United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County, the City of San Antonio, Catholic Charities and the IRS.  VITA provides free income preparation for individuals and families with income of $60,000 or less.

During the 2017 VITA season, which ran last year from January through Tax Day, volunteers prepared about 31,000 returns resulting in $54 million in refunds that went back to the local economy, and saved clients an estimated $10 million in tax preparation fees.

VITA is a vital part of helping low- to moderate-income individuals and families in San Antonio and Bexar County. VITA volunteers, who are all trained and IRS-certified, provide free income tax assistance to taxpayers, and help them claim important tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit.

The certified volunteers receive 20 hours of training that enables them to help prepare basic to moderately complex tax returns. VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools and other convenient locations. Most locations also offer free electronic filing.

Twenty VITA sites are open across the city January 16 through April 17, 2018 for free income tax preparation and electronic filing for qualifying individuals and families.

Individuals and families who earned up to $60,000 in total income last year are eligible for this free service!

Click HERE to learn more about the program.

When visiting a VITA site for free tax preparation, all filers must bring the following with them:

–  Valid photo identification
–  Social Security Card(s) or Individual Tax Identification Number(s) for all family members
–  All W-2 Forms
– Copy of prior year tax return (if applicable)
– 1099 Forms (if applicable)
– If filing jointly, spouse must be present to review/sign completed return

For more information or to find a nearby VITA site and its business hours, tax filers can go online to www.vitasa.org or call the United Way Helpline at 2-1-1.