Technology bridging the gap to help those in need
BEXAR Necessities is an “electronic bulletin board” which allows agencies to post requests for difficult-to-locate resources and access up-to-the-minute information about service availability or changes. This program networks nonprofit organizations, universities, hospitals, and members of the faith community via an eMail list-serve. With BEXAR Necessities, we hope to educate each other and work together to fill the needs of those individuals who are seeking help.
As service providers, we often find ourselves exhausting every resource with sometimes little result. This is especially true when trying to locate very unusual items or services. As the needs of the community become more complex and available resources diminish, the need for agency collaboration is critical.
– Nonprofit organizations
– Government agencies
– Faith community
We are working together to:
– Eliminate duplication of service
– Reduce staff time required to locate resources
– Access information that otherwise would not be available to service providers
– Phone line
– eMail Access (free services are available)
What gets posted:
- Announcements –agencies can network information and help each other locate valuable resources. These postings include information about new programs being offered in the community. For example: “United Way would like to introduce a new program called Community CareNet provided by Golden Manor Community CareNet…”
- Basic Needs –subscribers can post financial assistance requests for clients as well as requests for services. For example, the need for foundation repair is a requested service.
- Tangible Goods – caseworkers can post a client’s tangible need such as:“I have a client whose home burned down and is in need of a twin bed for her daughter…” If you can touch it, then it fits in this category.
- Gifts in Kind –corporations make donations of equipment, computers, office supplies and furniture. Subscribers can access opportunities to receive these donations. For example, “We have someone who would like to donate a used Intertel 6 phone system…”
- Responses –when a need has been met, the agency who originally posted the need notifies the system of their success after the need has been met. This will allow every subscriber to view each success as it occurs.
Bexar Necessities Learning Course
Come learn more about Bexar Necessities. All of the classes fall on a Thursday and each class will be from 9am – 10:30am and are hosted at United Way offices at 700 S. Alamo, SAT 78205.
2018 classes are offered on
February 8 FULL, March 1 FULL, April 5 FULL, May 3 FULL, June 7 FULL, July 5 FULL, October 4 FULL, November 1 FULL and December 6. Registration is REQUIRED as classes are limited in size to 25 attendees.
Register HERE at attend an upcoming Bexar Necessities Learning Course.
Should you have any questions, please contact Diane Talamantez via email at: email@example.com