United Way’s Women United provides childcare scholarships to help parents with the cost of childcare while they are enrolled in college full-time or working and enrolled part-time. Students may apply using the link below and work with a referral agent throughout the year.
Scholarships are supported by Women United. Scholarships may only be used for childcare; payments are made directly to the childcare provider.
Apply online: 2019 Application
“I am very grateful to have received this scholarship during a time when I was vulnerable and scared and had little to no help from family. The hard work and dedication, you and The United Way have done to support parents like me, is overwhelming and amazing.” – Previous scholarship recipient.
Parents selected for childcare scholarships must meet the following criteria:
Be enrolled in school or technical skills training for a minimum of 12 hours if not working, or enrolled for a minimum of 6 hours if working 19 or more hours weekly
- Not be enrolled in graduate school or hold a baccalaureate level degree; this scholarship is for individuals attending job training schools or earning their associate or first time bachelor’s degree
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Provide referral agent all class and/or work schedules when available, and must keep referral agent informed of changes in contact information, employment and school status
- Have demonstrated financial need
- Not currently enrolled in Child Care Services subsidizes child care program
- Have a demonstrated plan for reaching his/her educational and employment goals
- Be a citizen or legal resident of the United States and a resident of Bexar County
- Be screened by a referral agent and selection committee
- Only online applications will be accepted.
- Download checklist here. Do not submit checklist with your application. The checklist is for your use only.
- Please do not submit copies of citizenship, residency documentation or Social Security numbers/cards. Your referral agent will contact you to review these documents.
- Deadline for submission: 3:00 p.m. on Friday, November 2, 2018
- Funding begins January 1, 2019.
For additional information or questions, contact Katherine King at 210.352.7106 or email@example.com.
Research shows that the quality of child care is important to a child’s overall development and school success. Use the following checklists to assist you in identifying quality child care
- Infant Toddler Check List
- Preschool Check List
- School Age Check List
- Health and Safety Check List for Homes with Young Children