UWSA Statement on Racial Injustice
- June 19, 2020
- Posted by: UW User
- Category: Community Corner
United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County envisions a diverse and thriving community, free of racism, where everyone has the opportunity to achieve their full potential. Racial injustices have left an indelible mark throughout U.S. history, and the recent tragic events in Minnesota and Georgia, and the protests that have swept our nation in reaction to those events, underscore that racial injustices regrettably persist. These injustices have created underlying barriers for individual success–not only across the country, but also within our own community. Therefore, we proudly stand together with our Black colleagues, neighbors and friends, and remain committed to strategies that advance our most burdened neighbors and support efforts that strengthen our community for future generations.
As always, we are sensitive to the needs of our community. With the input and support of community volunteers, leaders and experts, we have focused our efforts to create lasting change across San Antonio and Bexar County.
Now, more than ever, is the time to do our part to ensure our words are translated into meaningful action. Here’s what we are doing to help today.
- We’re focused on reducing disparities by race and gender, specifically women of color.
- We’re increasing the economic stability of individuals and families through continued education and workforce training.
- We’re focused on the development of our youth, ensuring they are proficient in math and reading.
- We’re supporting our disconnected youth, reconnecting them to school, work and mental wellness resources.
- We’re increasing the resources for at-risk mothers of all ages, including prenatal care and quality early childcare services.
- We’re providing necessary resources and support for individuals and families when life circumstances or natural disasters occur.
We know our work is not over and community change does not happen overnight, but we are committed to our community, our neighbors and our partners.
As we move forward, we will use our past to better our future by listening with purpose and serving with action. We invite you to join us by raising your hand and your voice to uplift San Antonio and ensure everyone has the opportunity to reach their full potential. Get involved! Together, we will unite our community and identify and solve our most critical issues. Together, we will LIVE UNITED.
CEO and President
2020 Board Chair