In an effort to encourage post-secondary education, United Way provides childcare scholarships to help parents with the cost of childcare while they are enrolled in college full-time or working and enrolled part-time. Students apply through their college or university and work with a case manager throughout the year. Scholarships are supported by Women United, Children’s Issue Council and other donor dollars. Scholarships may only be used for childcare; payments are made directly to the childcare provider.
2018 Childcare Scholarship Application is now open. Applications are due by 3:00 pm, Thursday, March 2, 2018.
2018 FUNDING CALENDER
Funding Cycle: 7/30/18 – 8/2/19
2/01/18 – Applications open
3/01/18 – Applications close
4/30/18 – Applicants notified
5/28/18 – Orientation meeting*
7/30/18 – Award begins
* Orientation and Award Ceremony dates are tentative. Confirmed date and time will be shared with applicant in award notification email.
Parents selected for childcare scholarships must meet the following criteria:
Be enrolled in school or technical skills training for a minimum of 12 hours if not working, or enrolled for a minimum of 6 hours if working 19 or more hours weekly
- Not be enrolled in graduate school or hold a baccalaureate level degree; this scholarship is for individuals attending job training schools or earning their associate or first time bachelor’s degree
- Maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Provide referral agent all class and/or work schedules when available, and must keep referral agent informed of changes in contact information, employment and school status
- Have demonstrated financial need
- Not qualified, or have been denied or wait-listed, for any other eligible childcare assistance
- Not currently enrolled in Child Care Services subsidizes child care program
- Have a demonstrated plan for reaching his/her educational and employment goals
- Be a citizen or legal resident of the United States and a resident of Bexar County
- Be screened by a referral agent and selection committee
2018 Childcare Scholarship Application is now open. Applications are due by 3:00 pm, Thursday, March 1, 2018.
- Please separately download the checklist and application (note: application may take a few moments to load in new tab) and submit your typed application to your academic, career advisor or referral agent.The checklist is for your use only.
- Download checklist here. Do not submit checklist with your application.
- Download application here.
- All applications must be reviewed by your referral agent who will submit your application electronically to United Way no later than date Thursday, March 1, 2018.
- If you do not have a referral agent, please contact Katherine King at 210.352.7106 or firstname.lastname@example.org to be connected with the appropriate resource.
- Please do not submit copies of citizenship, residency documentation or Social Security numbers/cards.
- Deadline for submission: 3:00 pm, Thursday, March 1, 2018.
- Funding begins July 30, 2018.
For additional information or questions, contact Katherine King at 210.352.7106 or email@example.com.
Research shows that the quality of child care is important to a child’s overall development and school success. Use the following checklists to assist you in identifying quality child care
- Infant Toddler Check List
- Preschool Check List
- School Age Check List
- Health and Safety Check List for Homes with Young Children